Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Kid Approved Non Fiction




Awards are sweet, but is there a better recommendation for an interesting non fiction than knowing other kids have enjoyed it? I think not. So here is short list of books I have read to and with kids recently. Please add your favorites in the comments section so we can have a solid list for the holiday season.

I’m not going to link to encourage any possible shopping in our local bookstores before they are gone for good.

These are all biographies mostly( but not entirely) related to American History. All well deserved winners with the grade 3-6 crowd.


Now & Ben. The Modern Inventions of Benjamin Franklin by Gene Barretta

Strong Man. The Story of Charles Atlas by Meghan McCarthy

Odd Boy Out.Young Albert Einstein by Don Brown

Grandfather’s Journey by Allen Say

George Washington’s Teeth by Deborah Chandra and Madeleine Comora

Honda. The Boy Who Dreamed of Cars by Mark Weston

The Boy Who Invented TV. The Story of Philo Farnsworth. by Kathleen Krull

5 comments:

Anna M. Lewis said...

Great books, Linda!

(And, they're big kid/adult approved nonfiction, too!)

Linda Salzman said...

Anna,

Add some art books that kids really respond it. It would be a great to have a go-to list.

Anonymous said...

We love Snowflake Bentley by Jacqueline Briggs Martin. This year I wrapped 25 Christmas books, so my boys could unwrap on each day as a way of counting down to Christmas. I scoured by own collection, the local library and bought a few more. I added a few winter/snow books, as well, like Snowflake Bentley, the story of Willie Bentley.

Cheryl Harness said...

You know a non-fiction book I really loved? Michael Dooling's THE GREAT HORSE-LESS CARRIAGE RACE.
Gosh, I love how he draws!

Lorraine said...

My sister Louise, a 6th grade teacher, talked about kid-approved history books on her Readalicious! blog. http://www.hoppingfun.com/blog.htm?tag=nonfiction