Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Santa is Nonfiction

The now famous letter to The Sun goes like this:
DEAR EDITOR: I am 8 years old.
Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus.
Papa says, 'If you see it in THE SUN it's so.'
Please tell me the truth; is there a Santa Claus?
VIRGINIA O'HANLON

And, I say to my kids, “If you see it in the nonfiction section, it’s so!”
Here’s the evidence I found at our local library:

Santa Claus
Rod Green, author
Carol Wright, illustrator
Atheneum 2006







The Truth About Santa Claus
Green Tiger Press 2007
Blue Lantern Studio







Santa Claus: A Biography
Gerry Bowler
McClelland and Stewart 2007







Nicholas: The Epic Journey from Saint to Santa Claus
Jeremy Seal
Bloomsbury 2005








The Real Santa Claus
Marianna Mayer
Phyllis Fogelman Books 2001
Found in Juvenile Biography!






And, I can’t forget:
101 Questions About Santa Claus
Robert E. Litak
Adventure 2003
Our handy coffee table book for years.






For my final argument, may I present:
The Santa is Nonfiction T-shirt











This Christmas, my little guy will be nine years old. We’re still holding on to the magic. I hope I made a few believers with this post.
Any other favorite Santa books our readers would recommend? (It pained me to not include many beautiful picture books, but I specifically searched for hardcore Santa Claus NF books!)

To all my INKmates and the faithful followers of INK this year-
Have a warm and wonderful holiday season and a magical new year!

6 comments:

Linda Zajac said...

LOL on the t-shirt!

Melodye said...

Ho ho ho! What a great post! I got a big ol' belly laugh at this one.

Happy Holidays to everyone at INK!
Melodye (aka Newport2newport on LJ)

BookChook said...

And a wonderful Christmas to all at INK, from a grateful reader.

Book Chook
http:thebookchook.blogspot.com

jama said...

Love these Santa titles. Happy Holidays to everyone at INK!

Gretchen Woelfle said...

I'm not sure where it's shelved, but The Father Christmas Letters by JRR Tolkein, complete with his wonderful illustrations, remains the Christmas favorite in our family!

Marni said...

My favorite book about Santa is called "The Santa Claus Book" by Alden Perkes. I used to read it every year as a kid, and am still a firm believer.